Religious sites have provided succour and relief to many an anxious devotee, and the Edathua Church in Alappuzha is no different. Legend has it that those with medical issues, especially mental disorders, have found salvation at this holy site.
Built in 1810 and dedicated to St. George, the St. George Forane Church is among the prime attractions in this tranquil backwater district. Its annual feast (5th, 6th and 7th of May) sees believers from across the southern parts of the country, throng in great numbers to seek aid and blessings for their near and dear ones.
You all are welcome to Edathua Church
Fr.Vicar, Mathew Chooravady
Edathua St.George Forane Church established in 1810 was a part of the
Champakulam Kalloorkadu St.Marys Church for centuries, who were the migrants
from Niranam Church erected by St.Thomas the Apostle in the first Century.
Edathua is a very important pilgrim centre in South India. This community is
a part of the Syro Malabar Church in the Archi-Eparchy of Changanacherry. This
place Edathua and surrounding places are fully indebted to the Patron Saint and to
the Church for its economical, religious, social, cultural and moral development.
Lakhs of people are visiting this pilgrim Church from the various parts of the
country specially from Tamil Nadu.
The main Feast is celebrated solemnly from 27th April to 14th May every
You all are welcome to Edathua.
The tradition of this place is as old as Christianity itself. In those days the faithful of Edathua region used to go for worship at the Niranam church found by St.thomas, the Apostle. And then to the Champakulam church established in A.D 427.With the advent of the Chempakassery regime at Ambalapuzha principality many christians migrated to Kuttanad from ancient christian centres like Kuravalangadu and Kudamaloor. As the number of the faithful increased the need for church at Edathua was dreamed.
The foundation stone of the Edathua Church was laid on september 29, 1810 on the feast of St. Michael, the Archangel with the canonical consent of Bishop Reymond, the vicar Apostolate of the Varapuzha Vicarate under the Kodungallor Archdiocese. As the number of parishioners and pilgrims increased it was decided to construct a more spacious church. So the construction of a church called "cemetery church" was begun in 1824, That church was blessed on May 6,1824(Medam 23,1015) by Dr.Luduvikose Marthini,the Co-adjuster bishop of varapuzha. The foundation stone of the present magnificant church was laid on November 15,1839(10th Vrichikam 1015) by the Co-adjutor bishop of varapuzha.The madbhaha was completed in 1861.
Latest News About St.George Forane Church Edathua
Help stop coronavirus
2.KEEPa safe distance
Special Events In St.George Forane Church Edathua
8:00 pm @ Main hall