About Us

"The day we find the perfect church, it becomes imperfect the moment we join it."

About Church


The tradition of this place is as old as Christianity itself. In those days the faithful of Edathua region used to go for worship at the Niranam church found by St.thomas, the Apostle. And then to the Champakulam church established in A.D 427.With the advent of the Chempakassery regime at Ambalapuzha principality many christians migrated to Kuttanad from ancient christian centres like Kuravalangadu and Kudamaloor. As the number of the faithful increased the need for church at Edathua was dreamed.
The foundation stone of the Edathua Church was laid on september 29, 1810 on the feast of St. Michael, the Archangel with the canonical consent of Bishop Reymond, the vicar Apostolate of the Varapuzha Vicarate under the Kodungallor Archdiocese. As the number of parishioners and pilgrims increased it was decided to construct a more spacious church. So the construction of a church called "cemetery church" was begun in 1824, That church was blessed on May 6,1824(Medam 23,1015) by Dr.Luduvikose Marthini,the Co-adjuster bishop of varapuzha. The foundation stone of the present magnificant church was laid on November 15,1839(10th Vrichikam 1015) by the Co-adjutor bishop of varapuzha.The madbhaha was completed in 1861.

Main Altar

The altar is surmounted by splendid,majestic artistical design There are three divisions for the church, namely: the nave(Haykla),the chansel (Questroma) and the sanctuary (Quanke). A veil separates the sanctuary from the chancel.The ceiling of the Altar,the vail on either side of it and the Madbaha are represented with pictures of the crowning of the holy mother of god in Heaven and the prophets,Saints and the Ancient Fathers and Angels Standing around the Holt trinity chanting songs of praise.The three storied altar consists of four pillers and three divisions with cells for placing statues .Beth-gazzas(Preparation Table),Table of the Word(Bema),Baptistry (Bess mamodissa) and the stand for relics (Bess sahada) are also seen.The statue of St.George is placed on the southern altar out-side the nave(Haikala) of the church.The pulpit which was in use in the past for reading pastrol letters and preaching sermons is preserved the church.

Geevarghese Sahada(St.George)

The patron saint of Edathua parish is St.George who won martyrdom venturing the Roman emperor Diocletion in proclaiming his unfaltering faith in jesus Christ.The cyriac word "Sahada" means martyr.The statue of St.George in the church is of persian architecture and one evoking spontanious veneration
Geevarghese who was born in a traditionally Christian family of lidia in Palastine became the head of the Body guards of emperor Diocletion at age twenty. When the emperor ordered him to worship the Roman gods he asserted that he would worship none other than Christ.Further he invited the wrath of the emperor by rejecting wealth and recognition offered for obliging him.Geevarghese was tortured nad finally beheaded at Nicomedia.Before his death the distributed all his wealth among the poor.

The Edathua Festival

The Feast of St.George at Edathua commences with the ceremonious flag-hosting on april 27 and ends on May 14 with the dismounting of the flag.Among the lakhs visiting edathua there are people from all South Indian States.There was a time when pilgrims from foreign countries including Sreelanka visited Edathua.In the Procession around the church on May 6 and 7,the main festival days,the statue of St.George is carried by the pilgrims from Marthandom,Kanyakumari and Chinnamuttom in Tamilnadu.On these days the spacious ground near the church turns into a large trade centre.


Pilgrims arrive with offerings in plently as gratitude to Geevarghese Sahada for protection in their travel by boat for fishing or for trade and also from snake bite,infectious diseases etc.There are people who go in procession around the church carrying bricks on the heads.The oil that is poured on the flag mast is collected by many to take home as according to them it acquires miraculous medicinal value in the process, Rice, Malar(fried rice),threads,salt etc received in small quantities,when offering are made and the leaves of the teak tree in front of the church are very valuable for the pilgrims.The thread that they get from the church is used as the main thread for fishing net and some wear it around the wrist.The offerings include Chicken,Candle,thread,gold and silver ornaments,pulses,fruits sweets,jaggery,replica of human body and organs such as hand ,leg,eye,etc. Once in the past ,among the offerings was found a gold coin bearing Napoleons head indicating that people from french territories also visited the church.

Centre of Pilgrimage

In the holy year of 1975, and in 2015 the year of Mercy pilgrims could obtain indulgence by visiting the church as it was declared a pilgrim centre on both occassions by the authorities .in 1980 this church was raised as a Forane church. At present there are about 10000 parishioners belonging to two thousand five hundred households.Now there are 53 priests and 130 nuns from the parish.The jesuit house,Adoration and Snehagiri convents, 105 Kudumbakoottayma (family groups), and the different Lay-movements are assets of thos parish. This parish which occupies the most prominent place in the Archdiocease of Changanacherry for humanitarian activities spends about 1.5 crore rupee,for providing houses to the homeless and for promoting education and procuring medical aid to the needy.

Education Mission

The flow of divine blessing to the parish is chanalised for eradicating ignorance.St.Aloysius High School(1895) St.Mary's Veranacular School(now St.Mary's L.P School)(1888) St.Aloysius L.P School(1910) S.M.S.S.L.P School,Pandakary(1913) St.Mary's Girls High School(1973) St.Aloysius Higher Secondary School(1998) Georgian Public School(1997) Pius X I.T.I(1964) St.Aloysius College(1965) are institution of asset of this parish.